Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

I have been thinking lately about this holiday. What a wonderful thing to set aside a day to give thanks. Thank you Abraham Lincoln!
I used to be prone to calling it Turkey Day- a common thing lately. I now regret that, for it is a day of thanks, not just a day for Turkey (although a turkey induced food coma sounds good to me right now, and is one the things that I am truly thankful for- it is not all just about turkey).
Allow me to name some of the things I am thankful for:
-My Mom- She had a rough week last week with blood clots in her lungs and some pretty severe pain. She is much better now- thanks again to Toni and Tyra who gave so much of their time and effort during that period.
-My wife. I do not say enough about Eileen on this blog. Eileen is the most wonderful and loving wife that I could ever hope for. We see how so many families struggle and how people who profess to love eachother seem to not even like eachother. Not Eileen and I- we could literally spend all day every day together and never tire of it. Just being in the same room as Eileen is enough for me to feel perfectly contented. She is the love of my life and loves me despite my glaring and obvious faults.
-My Children. Kayla, Ashley, Joshua and Tyler are everything a parent could hope for in kids. They are loving, love eachother and really try to do what is right. Sometimes I fail to notice what they do right because it is easy to point out what is going wrong. I will try to do better at that.
-My Sisters- not many people can claim the blessing of five sisters. They have each one and collectively helped me more than they ever know in many ways. Thank you Patsy, Kathy, Jody, Tyra and Toni. I love you all
-My extended family- I have many wonderful nephews, nieces, cousins, etc. Love you all
-My country. I get frustrated sometimes with my government, my elected leaders, etc- but when I take a step back and realize what a wonderful country we are all able to live in in the United States- I am grateful for my freedoms.
-Most importantly- My Father in Heaven and His Son Jesus Christ. They give meaning to all of the other things for which I am grateful. Without Their love and sacrifice, all other things have no purpose. I am most thankful for them, the Church they restored in the last days and the gospel that speaks peace to troubled hearts and lives.

So instead of saying Happy Turkey Day this year- remember that we are setting aside for this day to give THANKS.

3 comments:

The Johnson's said...

It's fun to hear from you Tommy! I have been reflecting a lot this Thanksgiving time...we really are so blessed. Just wanted to let you know that Greg is also "blessed" with 5 sisters (and 3 brothers). Happy Thanksgiving!

rockkinrobbins said...

That was a great post. Thanks for sharing. WE miss you and love you lots.

White Family said...

Tommy, Well said about Thanksgiving, family and Country and Heavenly Father. I truly love the Haws family and thankful for all you do for me. Yes! you are blessed to have Eileen as your wife. patty