Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Junto

Frank Christianson- one of the group of former mission companions and BYU buddies that have invited me to join them on an annual get-together (that convieniently coincides with the mountain West basketball tournament) in Vegas told us recently of society that Ben Franklin organized in Philadelphia in the early 1700's. This group of men got together to discuss politics, religion, philosophy, literature, etc. He (Ben) called it a JUNTO.

A quick peek at Wikipedia will prove he is right (Frank is always right- he is a university professor). Sounds a lot like our small group. These men are people that I admire greatly and have learned so much from. It is a rare thing to have a group of people that you feel that you can share your most important thoughts and feelings with- all without feeling judged or discounted, even though it might not be completely in line with others opinions.

Some of the topics that we discussed were: serving in the Church, sports, Prop 8, various doctrinal issues, etc. I found myself further educated and humbled by their insights. I was definitely edified.

The highlight for me was right before I had to leave for home. We went and did an endowment session at the Las Vegas Temple. It was a great feeling to stand with these men together in the celestial room of the temple and know that these were my brethren. I love each of them and are grateful for their insight and friendship. May the Junto never die and we be able to continue the tradition. Thanks again guys for the wonderful weekend- even if BYU got booted out in the second round.

No comments: